Q. What do people mean when they refer to Social Media Marketing?
Social Media is simply a different way of communicating on the internet. It is a different type of media than we are used to. When we use the term social media we are referring more commonly to websites such as Twitter and Facebook and for business more specifically LinkedIn .
People join these networks and create profiles about themselves and share information, photos and videos with their friends or contacts. There are other social media networks and social bookmarking sites such as Digg and Reddit, but the above three are the most popular and often the starting point for marketers.
Q.Why is Social Media Marketing so important?
For the simple reason that the way people are communicating online is changing and marketers need to keep up with this changing trend!
Social Networking websites in the UK now account for 1.29 hours a day of all time spent online! In the past year, the average time spent on social networking sites grew from 3 hours per month to 5.5 hours.
It is now one of the essential strategies for building a business online and driving large amounts of traffic to your website.
Just Look At These Facts…
- 79% of all businesses across the world are using at least one form of Social Media and an estimated 20% now use a combination of Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and Blogs!
- A third of adults post at least once a week to social sites.
- 70% of bloggers are talking about brands on their blog.
- 15% of bloggers spend 10 or more hours each week blogging.
- There are more than 3.5bn pieces of content (web links, news stories, blog posts, etc.) shared each week via social network sites.
- More than 65 million local businesses have active Pages on Facebook.
- Facebook recently announced that they have now reached over 1.7 billion users worldwide and 1 billion that are active users logging on each day.
- Twitter now has 1.3 billion user accounts and it will soon reach 500 million tweets per day.
- LinkedIn has over 467 million members worldwide
Q. How are Internet Marketers using social media?
Social Media sites such as Facebook offer a PPC advertising model that enables you to create adverts and promote to specific segments of your market. Unlike Google PPC, with Facebook, you can target your audience by age, date of birth, location, relationship status and gender. However, these social media sites are also being used to drive free traffic to websites, build lists of people within a niche and promote relevant products to them.
Social Media has a number of benefits:
- Free Traffic – can drive free traffic to your website and create valuable links from authority websites.
- SEO – Google loves social media sites, due to the interaction and fresh content that is generated by the users. It now uses activity from social media and your website as part of its ranking algorithm, so building an online presence can help your search engine rankings!
- Online Presence – businesses are now using social media sites to promote products and services and grow their brand awareness. People now talk about brands and products on social media sites.
- List Building – By creating a following for your product / business or service on sites such as Twitter and Facebook you are building a list of people in your market / niche who you can promote to.
- Promoting products – either their own products or affiliate products to their list of followers that they have built.